Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

Parenting As Therapy

Kids do not come with operations manuals and sometimes even the best of us need some direction on using parenting skills that fit your child.

This NY Times article talks specifically about behavioral interventions from a parenting skills perspective as the first avenue of defense and sometimes as the only one needed.

I meet so many people that say "Oh, I wish I would have known you X years ago, when I was raising my kids". Therapy is not just for when you have challenges. It is a way to pro-actively face the every day challenges and stress of being overworked, being in a relationship, being a parent, being a child or any other state of being you can imagine.

The idea is to acquire the skills that help you feel good about the life you're leading, the relationships you have and the choices you're making.

In this case, therapy as a parenting skills support. Because sometimes we just aren't equipped to address the stuff of life.